Monday, January 23, 2006

2 for 1 special today:



Post #1: This was supposed to go up Friday, but I got tied up before I could post it

Well, I finally had a winning session of poker and now I'm ready to make a run as a pro. There's a bit of sarcasm in that statement, but also a bit of truth in it as well. I'm capping off a hellish week.

First, on Monday, I have a water line bust in the wall and fuck up my home. That really has nothing to do with work, but it was just an omen for how my week would go. So on Tuesday, I have to go to Richmond, VA. Now, I've been through Richmond and around Richmond, but never actually IN Richmond. Let me tell you something, people make fun of WV, but it's thousands times better than Richmond, VA. That is the biggest scum hole on the fucking planet. Worse than DC (except for the traffic). The business I had to work out closed at 4:00pm just so they could get out of there before the sun went down. In the 3 days I was there, I had about 10 different people trying to bum money, I had some retard at a bus stop jump up and down repeatedly and sing to me, and while I was eating lunch, I got to see the police bash some idiot's skull against the trunk of their car. Superb place, this Richmond, VA.

Also the people I was working with were a bit high strung to say the least. The main woman that I was training was .... let me try to put this politely as to not offend.... A FUCKING BITCH!

I came straight home and hit Monster.com. I actually had a job offer this week, but turned it down. It was a sys admin job for some rocket center about 5 hours away.

Anyway, after having a shit week, I escaped into a little online poker. Even when I was way down at one point, I was at peace. Nothing was bothering me. It's bad when losing insane amounts of money is more relaxing that your job. I guess my tranquility prevailed in the end and I ended up having 2 winning sessions yesterday. Both after being down close to 50BBs in each session.

So, I've been playing without direction or motivation lately. Even though the motivation is rapidly returning, I'm still without any goals to shoot for. So here's the long term goal: win more money this year than my gross salary for my job. It should be fairly easy if I stay motivated. Even after month long losing streak and dropping down to limits less than half what I was playing last year, my overall hourly rate is better than my approximate hourly rate at work (I'm a salaried employee, so I just guestimated the rate). Also, it's not like I'll be stuck at $2/4 forever. Eventually, I'll get moved back up to the $5/10 or even $15/30 games and making some good money.

That goal is a long way off money-wise, but not that far away time-wise. Some obstacles that I see are 1. burnout and 2. summer. I usually don't play that much during the summer, but if I want to achieve my goal, I will need to play regularly all year long, especially now that I'm scraping bottom at the $2/4 games.

Post #2 for today
I played a little bit of poker yesterday despite being fairly busy. I won just a little bit. A win is a win and I'm trying to focus on long term results (hard to do when you're stuck 300BBs). Anyway, I'm quite a bit of poker played the 2nd half of this month. I'm just going to keep plugging until I start winning again or lose it all. I'm still a good ways off from losing my bankroll though. However, I think the poker gods owe me at least one huge winning day soon.

I got the bill for my water damage. $1200. Normally I could just pay for it out of my poker money, but ... well you know... poker sucks these days. So, I had to take it out of my savings account. The good news is that I'll probably get moved back in to my place this week. I have been going over there to play poker because my monitor kicks ass and my parents' monitor sucks ass.

Some personal life tidbits (Felicia, you can stop reading now).

- I got 2nd place in the bowling tournament last night. My highest finish ever. I'm making some adjustments in my game and my consistency is off, but my game is improving rapidly. This time last year, I was averaging below 150. My average now is 181 and rising.

I'm really really into bowling right now and I'm getting un-official coaching from 2 PBA members and a house pro. Usually every time I go to practice, one of these 3 are available to me and I'd like to thank Daniel, Dwayne, and Jason for all their free help. It's starting to pay off.

- Those of you that know me personally, know that I'm a fairly conservative person. I think of myself as more middle of the road that most conservatives, however, there are a bunch of uber-liberal nuts out there that just turn my stomach. The majority of these nuts can be found in Academia, pushing their rhetoric on un-suspecting college students that are there to 1.) Learn and 2.) Drink beer. I heard this story on the radio this morning and it brought a smile to my face. It might be old, but I'm passing it onto my readers anyway:

A Marine was attending a college course between missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. The professor, an avowed atheist, shocked the class one day when he walked in, looked toward the ceiling, and said loudly, "God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform.

I'll give you exactly 15 minutes."The lecture room fell silent and the professor began his lecture.

Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, "Here I am God - still waiting."

It got down to the last minute when the Marine stood up, walked toward the professor and threw his best punch knocking him off the platform and out cold.

The Marine went back to his seat and sat down The other students were shocked and stunned and sat there looking on in silence.

The professor came to, noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and asked, "What the hell is the matter with you? Why did you did that?"

The Marine calmly replied, "God is busy today protecting America's soldiers who are protecting your right to behave like an idiot and say stupid shit. So He sent me."


That story really hits home with me. Although, more than likely fiction, I had to put up with this shit for 4 years. I was even un-fairly failed in class because of my political views when I was a freshman. It's becoming and epidemic in this nation and its unfair.

The problem is that most high school students really don't have any political views when the go to college. The professors know this and like a bunch of vultures, use this as an opportunity to push their beliefs onto the students. I experienced it day in and day out during my years.

In my English 101 class, I had the pleasure of getting a femenist as a professor. Every piece of literature we had to read was about feminism or some sort of babbling about how the male species sucked. Every lecture dealt with the same issues. Finally one day, I got fed up and had a meeting with the professor.

In the meeting, I told her that I felt the class was a load of shit and asked her if she ever intended to let the class view the other side of the spectrum. She basically blew me off as some punk kid that didn't know what I was talking about, so I just laid it out for her. I was going to to do the assigned work, but I was not going to attend any more of her lectures because 1.) She was full of shit, and 2.) I had better things to do with my time. She said that would be fine. Normally, dropping the class would be the correct play here, but it was beyond the drop-date, so this my only chance.

I wrote every paper assigned in the class. I read every piece of bullshit she assigned. Everything was done on time. The only thing I didn't do was sit in her class and and soak up the BS she was putting out. Suprise Surprise, come grade time, I get a big fat F. So then, I went through the whole process of getting my papers re-graded by an un-biased party and filing a complaint with the dean. Long story short, nobody on the faculty would take my side, so next semester, it was English 101 all over with a better professor.

I got a good story about another dipshit professor, but I'll save that for another time. Until, then, peace out.

Posted by Predator314 at 6:38 AM  

1 comments:

Great post! Stumbled across it searching for fellow poker bloggers. I'm a big fan of combining personal anecdotes and other stories in conjunction with poker postings. It "keeps it real" and shows there is indeed life off the tables (good and bad on both accounts).

Anyways, best of luck to ya, and your blog has definitely found a home in my book marks.

Mike

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment