Friday, August 05, 2005

I got home from a nice vacation this past Thursday evening. There ended up being 8 of us hanging out at the river from Sunday up through Thursday. It was a great time. The fishing was good. The weather was so-so.

My 2nd go around hasn't faired all that well on the poker front. I was down about $300 prior to yesterday. I had blown a bit on some tournaments and also just had not played well. Yesterday, I dropped back to 4 tabling the $2/4 tables and cut out the -EV tournaments and ended up booking a $115 profit.

It was nice to get a win. I did tighten up just a bit yesterday. I had been cold calling and even re-raising with some questionable hands and it was costing me money. For some reason, I thought I could outplay those guys after the flop. It's pretty pointless to do that in the $2/4 or $3/6 games because it's cheap for these guys to call you down.

One thing I absolutely love Party for these days is the $3/6 short handed tables. I really don't have the bankroll for them right now, but I've had a few winning sessions at them. Short handed is oh so damn fun and profitable.

I've been reading 2+2 more lately. There have been a few posts in the past few weeks of "pros" who are turning "un-pro". It seems like all these stories are the same:

I deposited $50 on Party, ran it up to $10,000, lost it all to bad beats. Read SSHE and deposited again and then turned pro. Bought 4 21" LCD's, a car, $1000/month apartment. And now I'm broke because my $3/6 sessions wouldn't cover my expenses

I had aspirations of becoming a pro. I think I might have eventually ended up in the same boat. I have proven that I can beat the smaller games. However, it is a big time grind having to make a living off the $3/6 games. Let's assume you're a decent player and make 2.00BB/100. I would need to make $80,000/year to live comfortably as a poker pro. That's 13,334 big bets a year I would have to make. On average, 1111 big bets a month. That comes out to 37 big bets per day. OK, now lets say you make 2BB/100. You would need to play 1850 hands per day. OK... now that I work that out, it doesn't seem that bad.

Personally thought, if I'm going to become a pro, I want to do it right. I want to make somewhere above $150,000/year. Playing $15/30, that's only 5000 big bets. Which seems better to you?

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents on becoming a pro.

I'll probably play for an hour or 2 tonight. My bowling league starts tonight directly after work. I'm on 2 leagues this year. A Monday evening at 6:00PM and Wednesday evenings at 6:30PM.

Posted by Predator314 at 5:48 AM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment